Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When your body says, "I don't think so"


  • I woke up a bit on the hyper side today.  Who knew that you could be all energized and up, ready to go at 4:50am?  I didn't even have coffee yet but I was very excited to get to the gym.

    Reason #1:  new tank tops to wear (yes, workout clothes help motivate me to get up each morning...I have more workout clothes than regular clothes).
    Reason #2:  a special challenge from Girls Gone Strong on Fitocracy...how many points can we get on Wednesday.  I saw this more as..."maybe I could win" but I really just wanted to see if I could do more than I have before.  That really was my goal.

    The reality of this morning is this:  my body is tired.  I had a very hard workout Monday and Tuesday.  Lifting hard 2 days in a row is enough and my body really needed a lighter workout today.  Here is how I know...I went to do push presses with 50 pounds this morning and I couldn't do 10 of them after the first set.  I seriously could not lift that bar over my head another time.  With each set I got weaker and weaker.  My body was done and was letting me know it was time for a break.  I was still incredibly hyper but my upper body was done for the day.  I did push myself to finish the rest of my workout and that took some major mental work and a little extra dose of motivation.  

    I did not get as many points as I wanted but I am planning on still doing some crunches and bodyweight types of things at home today with the kiddos that don't involve my upper body..and then my points will go up a little bit more.  :)

    Tomorrow I will be in cycling class...not teaching, but I will be a participant.  It will be a good day for some active recovery on the spin bike.  

    Here is my workout today:

    Push-Up:
    • 8 reps (+15 pts)
    • 8 reps (+15 pts)
    • 8 reps (+15 pts)
    • 8 reps (+15 pts)
    • 8 reps (+15 pts)
    • 10 reps (+19 pts)
  • Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups):
    • 8 reps (+16 pts)
    • 8 reps (+16 pts)
    • 8 reps (+16 pts)
    • 8 reps (+16 pts)
    • 8 reps (+16 pts)
    • 8 reps (+16 pts)
  • Push Press:
    • 50 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)
    • 50 lb x 8 reps (+41 pts)
    • 50 lb x 8 reps (+41 pts)
    • 50 lb x 7 reps (+40 pts)
    • I was supposed to do one more set and do 10 reps each time but I just couldn't do it today. I was struggling just to do 7 on the last one. I think my arms are needing a day off.
  • Lat Pulldown:
    • 75 lb x 8 reps (+24 pts)
    • something is pulled in my back left shoulder...felt it after Monday's workout. I did one set but could still feel it this morning during this exercise so I didn't finish the sets so it can heal up.
  • Alternate Hammer Dumbbell Curl:
    • 12 lb x 14 reps (+23 pts)
    • 12 lb x 14 reps (+23 pts)
    • 12 lb x 14 reps (+23 pts)
  • Triceps Pushdown:
    • 37 lb x 14 reps (+13 pts)
    • 37 lb x 14 reps (+13 pts)
    • 37 lb x 14 reps (+13 pts)
    • Tough for me today
  • Upright Cable Row:
    • 27 lb x 14 reps (+19 pts)
    • 27 lb x 14 reps (+19 pts)
    • 27 lb x 14 reps (+19 pts)
    • with rope
  • Walking (treadmill):
    • 0:04:00 || 0.2 mi (+5 pts)
    • 0:00:30 || 0.1 mi (+9 pts)
    • 0:00:30 || 0.1 mi (+9 pts)
    • 0:01:00 || 0.2 mi (+22 pts)
    • warm-up
  • Running (treadmill):
    • 0:00:30 || 0.1 mi (+12 pts)
    • 0:01:00 || 0.2 mi (+27 pts)
    • 0:01:00 || 0.2 mi (+27 pts)
    • warm-up interval with walking
  • Cycling (stationary):
    • 0:06:00 || 1.5 mi (+32 pts)
    • 3 intervals and then cool down

No comments: