Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Resolution Poundage

New Year Resolutions...they are here and that usually brings a massive amount of people to the gym for the first (or second...or third) time.  Want to know what is going through the mind of someone who is at the gym almost everyday when the New Year starts?  This status update from Facebook pretty much sums up a lot of the comments that ran through my head the last few days in anticipation for the flood of people running to the gym to burn off their resolution poundage.  This post was from a woman who has a powerlifting site:

I see a lot of people complaining about their gyms being bombarded by "Resolutioners" this time of the year. Most of the new gym members go immediately to the cardio room and never leave, so that doesn't affect me one bit. A few more will venture into the weight room, some knowing what they are doing and some not, but very few will "risk" stepping foot into the powerlifting room because it is too intimidating. It's not a place for beginners. I understand that, obviously.

I always try to bring more people into the Red Room (our pl room) and introduce them to powerlifting. But I have got to admit, this time of year a big part of me is pretty happy that my monolift and deadlift platform are safe from the Resolutioner-abuse and that I can go about my business throwing weights around without fighting for space. On that note, my clients will probably find themselves in the Red Room a little more often to get away from the crazy crowds.

Point- powerlifting! :)
Like ·  · 
  • Jane Monfre and 22 others like this.
  • Ann Sinnott People should stop complaining and be happy and proud of the American's deciding to break the stereotype of being lazy and fat and instead heading to the gym. Everyone had to start somewhere.. including those of us that have been in the weight room for years.
    46 minutes ago · Like · 2
  • Anthony DelMonaco We are happy people are trying to get into shape. The problem is they have unrealistic expectations for their weight loss. You're not losing that muffin top as fast or as easy as it went on. If you lose it fast I'll be willing to be it isn't staying off for long either. Us powerlifters take our sport pretty seriously, between training, diet and sleep(ok 2 out of 3 isn't bad). We know how hard it is to gain/lose and a lot of us have been around long enough to know what works and what doesn't work. If this whole process were easy everybody would be 5% body fat, benching 495 and deadlifting a Fiat, the reality is that fitness isn't easy. It takes hard work, dedication and plenty of sacrifices to get results and even more hard work, dedication and sacrifices to maintain those results. We're glad people are trying but after 10-15 years of seeing the New Years Resolution crowds coming and going, we know that after 3 weeks the gym will be back to normal and the resolution crowd will be back to the couch and a bag of Cheetos.
    35 minutes ago · Like · 3
  • A Healthy Obsession- Clean Eating, Personal Training & Powerlifting Unfortunately I've seen too many people go back to the gym every January, trying to "break the stereotype", but then they stop and end up enforcing the stereotype that Resolutioners have in the first place. Some people stick with it and continue to be motivated and determined to reach their goals in a realistic manner, but more only stick around for a month or so. Everyone starts somewhere, and hopefully they only start *once*
  • Stacie Glaze-Mow Idiots at my gym use the power rack for chin ups.....grumble.
    26 minutes ago via mobile · Like · 1
  • Keri Garza Going at 2pm = empty 
  • Ann Sinnott Wellllll, I was one of those new years resolutioners last year, and am now training for the crossfit open and in better shape than I was when I was playing 4A soccer in college. I never powerlifted seriously before and I am now in the gym at least five days a week and lifting more than half the guys around me. So yes, many fail, but I am proof that with the right encouragement and not being surrounded by people who believe you'll be done with the gym in a month (cough cough)... It can be done. So no Anthony, I never ended up back on the couch and I can't remember the last time I ate something such as Cheetos. But yeah, damn those new years resolutioners and their stupid goals! 


If you are one of those who are trying to stick with a gym schedule or have some resolutions in regards to getting healthier...stick with it!  

I am not a professional in any way but I have been one of those that have been at the starting line with the goal in my mind and I have seen success.  I have been one of those who wasn't sure what to do at the gym and who was scared to venture into the weight area (petrified would be a better word to describe it).  I have had others start along with me and have seen their struggles and battles of willpower vs. comfort.  

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message or make a comment.  I'd be happy to help and keep you accountable so you don't go back to sitting on the couch eating Cheetos.  :)



No comments: