Monday, August 20, 2012

Workout of the Day: Strength Training (while sleepwalking)

First, let me start out by saying that the workout I had this morning was a matter of discipline.

Today I had to be motivated mentally.  Scratch that last line...last night I had to be mentally motivated just to do the workout today.

Reason:  Quinn  (a.k.a. sick, little 4 year old)

Quinn decided that he was going to have a fever yesterday evening.  Not just a little fever but a fever in about the 101-102 range.  He has been battling some congestion for about 3 weeks, got medicine last week because his tonsils were pretty big and red.  That medicine isn't working.  Last night he was so congested and his tonsils were so big that you could hear him actually stop breathing.  That did not make me very comfortable sleeping.  Thoughts of rushing him to the ER came in mind.  Me just sitting on the chair downstairs with him on my lap watching very old (and not very good) movies on Netflix were possibilities.  No sleep pretty much was the general idea last night.

Quinn was on our floor.  Quinn was in our bed.  No luck...still having trouble.  We had Vicks on his chest, nose, feet (put this on three different times).  I put some other funky stuff on too that smells like cloves.  I held him up and propped myself up so he could sleep basically sitting up.  It reminded me of when Sid was little and she would get pneumonia...over and over again.  We would have her sit in her car seat because that was the only comfortable way for her to sleep when she was little.  I didn't have a stable seat for Quinn to sit in so it was just me and my arms.  :)  At 1am Chris and I put him back on the floor and propped him up so we could get a little bit of sleep at least.

Then.  Bam. Crash.  We thought someone was breaking in to the house.  If that doesn't get your adrenaline going I'm not sure what does.  Don't worry, it was just the napkin holder that fell off the counter.

5am.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.

I had a choice when I went to bed to either not go to the gym in the morning or to still set my alarm eventhough I know I wasn't going to get that much sleep.  I choose to still be determined to get to the gym regardless of how much sleep I had.

My workout started at 5:40am.
Dumbbell Squats   6 of these at 20 pounds.  I was watching my form today and as I was working on these I noticed some pain in my knee from running yesterday.  I decided that I wasn't going to push these until the pain went away.
Lunges.  These were on the plan for today but since there was pain in my knee I didn't do these this morning.
 
Leg Extensions.  70lbs/15 reps    did this twice
Lying Leg Curls  #4 (not sure what poundage that would be)/15 reps      did this twice

Dumbbell Calf Raises One Leg   5 pounds in each hand/15 times  did this twice
I had a note on this...awkward and balance is not figured out yet.  Could increase the weights but I would probably fall over.  :)
Dumbbell Upright Rows    30 lbs/15 reps   did this twice.  
I will be increasing the weights next time.  *This one is pretty fun too...not sure why but I like this one.

Dumbbell Calf Raises Two Leg  20 lbs/15 reps   did this twice
will be increasing the weight next time.
Triceps Kickback   8 pounds in each hand/15 reps  did this twice
This one is still pretty awkward for me.  I am amazed that I haven't hit my head though...so that is a plus!

I had a warm-up on the elliptical for about 5 minutes, did some stretches and then started.
I finished the workout with intervals on the elliptical.

Workout Done:  6:45am.


No comments: