Supplements at a Christmas party? Yes...that really was what we were talking about. (I am still a little bit in awe of that conversation)
Here is what I learned.
- everyone at the table was taking fish oil. Some were taking some that left a horrible taste in their mouth. Others were taking some that were just fine and some would get horrible stomach aches from them.
- Some people were talking calcium but not all.
- We not only talked about supplements but also about weight loss and what we did to get some pounds off or stay fit. One of the women there had lost a great amount of weight...all by eating healthy. She kept almonds in her car and eats a lot of berries. Others exercise and some do not.
- A few of the people were taking other supplements that I had never heard of before and some are even on medications each day for different things.
This conversation left me wondering what I really should be taking for supplements. I was even shocked to learn that some supplements left people feeling sick to their stomachs.
My supplements, which I try to remember to take each day, are taken for a few different reasons.
- Calcium. I know I don't get enough calcium because I don't drink milk. I can't drink milk and cheese even leaves me feeling yucky for awhile. Being lactose intolerant does leave me options but I have tried them and I don't like the taste of them either. I have never been a big milk drinker anyways (I haven't had milk with cereal probably since I was in elementary school) but I do know that calcium is important.
- Magnesium. I read that this might actually help those with asthma. I want to get off my medications but I really need to see how this next year goes and how much I get sick. So far since I have been on my 2 medications for asthma I haven't gotten bronchitis (mid-October is when I went on those). I've gotten sick with colds but I have managed to keep them from bothering my lungs so much. I am trying to avoid that dreaded "b" word because it really knocks me out for about 2 weeks or more and just isn't fun and then I need a pretty powerful steroid to kick my asthma in the butt and let me breathe normally again once the infection is actually gone. I was on the lookout for something to help me out. What I found is a supplement that has magnesium and calcium together along with zinc, so I take one of those every day. Being around kids where there is almost always one who is coughing, sneezing or wiping their nose on something makes this supplement seem like a no-brainer for me. Sor far...no bronchitis and just 3 mild colds since mid-October.
- Multi-vitamin. One a day people...take one a day!
- Fish Oil. I was taking fish oil and was perfectly fine taking those. I did run out and then got a different brand. This new one, I don't like. I seriously burp fish. It is gross. I try to take these at night instead so then I don't have the horrible taste in my mouth when I am actually awake to realize it. I paid money for these though so I will finish them. I just wish I didn't buy them when I got 1 bottle and then another one for free. Sometimes it just isn't worth buying things when they are on sale!
Want to know what to take?
I can't tell you what is best but I can refer you to a few places that may be able to explain things from more of a healthy or medical viewpoint. Do research on your own, talk with your doctor and figure out what is going to help you the most. To get you started below are a few links that I have looked at for answers: