Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jessica's Journey...January 17th "True or False"

While at the inlaws this past weekend I noticed a magazine by Sams Club, that was sitting on the table in their living room.  On the front of the cover was the all amazing, almost always screaming (at least that is what we heard a lot of on The Biggest Loser), Jillian Michaels.  Of course that drew me into actually opening up this magazine that is distributed by Sams Club.  I never did read that article though.  

What did catch my attention was a little corner of a different page that talked about the true & false of fitness.  I skimmed it and as I was reading I realized that it was again a lot of what I had been reading lately.  

I still think that a lot of women believe a lot of these false truths though with fitness.  I actually heard this several times over the past few weeks that we have been traveling and a lot of these are things that I thought before too.  "I really want to lose the fat in my arms."  "I just need to shrink my butt."  "I really want to be a certain weight, that is my goal and I can get there if I just eat this really bland, disgusting weight loss product."  And yes..."If I lose weight it just comes off in my boobs and no where else so exercise doesn't work for me."  

The picture isn't the best but hopefully you can see it enough to read through the article.  Maybe if we keep spreading the word about these things more people will start believing them and realize that exercise and eating the right way is the best way to be healthy and lose weight if that is their goal. 


The words that got hit with the flash from my camera say..."Women don't have enough testosterone to bulk up the way men can.  Research shows that heavy resistance training burns more calories than the same amount of cardio."

Women...that right there should make you want to go lift something.  Hello!?!  Burns MORE calories than the same amount of time on the treadmill or elliptical...enough said for me.

My Workouts:  Yesterday I officially started Phase 4.  I don't think I have ever been so nervous about an exercise as this specific day.  I really had to mentally prepare myself for this workout and to be honest...that took about 4 days before I knew I was ready.  I also think that my body itself needs time to heal and mend after a really tough week, like last week.  By the end of the week I was having some different things going on and was also just worn out.  My eyes were twitching, and still do, all throughout the day and I just needed to take it a bit easier.  My hips were back to their old games and causing some pain and I literally had hours where I couldn't sleep just because it hurt so bad.  Listening to my body...I am working on that.  :)  

Here is one of the exercises that I did yesterday.  This was why I was freaking myself out.  To sum it up...I put 90 lbs on a bar that weights about 35 pounds.  I slid under the bar so it was sitting on my hips and then I lifted the bar up with my hips.  Here is a picture of someone on the web doing this exercise to help give you a visual.  
I survived though and made it through without any problems.  I didn't lift as much as I could have but it was a start and now I know that I can even lift more.  Now I am ready to do more new things tomorrow during day 2 of Phase 4.  I will be mentally preparing for those new exercises throughout the day today.  I did do a lot more weight than my normal that I have been doing during the straight leg deadlift.  I lifted about 120 pounds with that too and that was very awesome!  Having grips helps me a lot!

I have to say that I am pretty proud of sticking with this and trying new things.  I would have to say that one of the toughest things is getting out of bed each morning, all on my own and then working out all on my own. I am motivated to change and get healthier but luckily I am self-motivated.  I can really see the benefit though of having someone meet you at the gym or having a buddy because there are days when I don't want to go and when I don't have as much motivation.  

No comments: