Saturday, March 7, 2009

Set Apart

Today I had the chance to attend an event called Set Apart. I got an e-mail from a friend on Monday at just the perfect time.

For some reason, Monday was just an insane day. I think all the kids took cranky pills that morning and it truly didn't matter a whole lot what I did to try to help them not be cranky. We have a lot of 4, almost 3 and 2 year olds and hear lots of "(fill in the blank) took my toy" or "(Jessica, (fill in the blank) did something not nice." This day was filled with these words, plus many other sayings about 100x more than any other day that we have had.

During all the whining, crying, throwing food and then crying about the food on the floor...by me (just joking)...I got this e-mail...

Ladies,
Another lady at the church was planing on going to an event called Set Apart at Northwestern College in the cities. She isn't able to attend now and has a ticket to sell. Check out the website of the event for details and let me know if you would like to purchase the ticket.

Of course, that wasn't word for word but close to what the e-mail said. I looked up the website during our sacred quiet time and decided that this was something that I really needed to attend. I saw my friend that night and mentioned it to her, ran it by Chris to make sure he would be able to make it all day without me and signed myself up to attend the next day.

This morning, I got to sleep around 4:00 am because Quinn hasn't been feeling well and I wasn't feeling so hot either. I woke up to my alarm at 5:35 am and felt awake and got ready to meet the other women at 6:20am.

I was excited to hear the speakers and scared as well. I didn't know what to expect and knew that I needed this...needed to re-energize my body and spirit and needed this day for myself.
I went to a few individual sessions but also heard some great speakers and stories from some of the general session speakers...Carol Kent and Lisa TerKeurst.

I enjoyed Lisa's talk alot and will be looking for more information from her and by her because I just connected well with what she was saying.

Now, Carol...I saw a few minutes of her talk and wasn't able to hear the rest of what she had to say but I did get to hear some of her story. Her story is heartbreaking but is also the reality of the world today and shows how a mom that is a Christian helps her child in one of the toughest situations in their life. She showed me to treasure each day, each moment and each experience that I have with my kids and my family. Below is the video that I saw today and I hope you are moved by it just as much as I was:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing that, Jessica! I wish I could be someone who was more OK with the messy and more relying on God instead of myself.
I'm glad you were able to get away and get some re-energizing. We're starting one of Lisa TerKeurst's books in our Bible study group! Too bad you aren't closer so we could do it together! Take care!