This is our first challenge with The Journey! It is simple, will take maybe 2 minutes of your time (if that) but will give you something to think about for a few days. There is a possibility that just taking these 2 minutes may change what you put in your grocery cart the next time you are out.
Step 1: Take one thing out of your fridge, freezer or pantry that was not purchased on the outside aisles of a grocery store (you know those areas...where the produce, meat and cheese are!). Find something that is in a box...a container of something that you think really tastes good. Maybe this is your favorite cereal. This could include the tasty crackers that you munch on in the afternoon with a snack. How about that microwave popcorn you eat before bed?
Step 2: what are the first 5 ingredients that are listed? Take a few seconds and write down those 5 ingredients on our Facebook page or make a comment here. Don't be ashamed or think people will judge you for what is in your house and what you are posting. This isn't about them...this is about you.
- How many of these ingredients are sugar or a form of sugar? Not sure? You can find out what ingredients are actually a form of sugar at this website (yes, it is a Livestrong site and no, I don't think the site has been enhanced by drugs in any way).
- Can you actually pronounce all 5 ingredients?
What did I find?
I looked through some cabinets and the fridge today and found a few things...
|This is what my 5 year old ate for breakfast this morning. See what the second ingredient is?|
|Just something else I found in the pantry. Nothing like some high fructose corn syrup |
in your crackers to make you go "mmm, mmm, good", right? I know it wasn't one of the first 5
ingredients but it is still in there.
What is The Journey?
We all have a journey. This site will help show you how:
- to reach those fitness goals that you have with simple exercise plans and changes you can make with food choices.
- get kids moving and active and away from those screens.
- tips for women who juggle life with families or are just trying to be real in this virtual world.