Monday, February 27, 2012

"Do I eat this or that?" Jessica's Journey...February 27th

My husband thinks that I have found some hole in our universe and climbed through.

I have made a few changes this week that has caused him to wonder who I am.  These changes are things that are not normal for me and really are unlike anything that I have been the last 11 or 12 years.

I am learning 2 things about change:
  1. Make little changes.  If I make little changes then I will probably stick with the changes I have made.
    • I would love to overhaul our entire eating here at The Williams House.  That isn't going to happen.  We have replaced a lot of our food with healthier choices and we will continue to change things out gradually.  I recently was reintroduced to Trader Joe's in town and am amazed at how comparable their prices are for the same food that I buy at the grocery store, or even a better option than the store...like organic!  
  2. Replace some of the things I used to consume with healthier choices.  
    • Diet Pepsi needed a replacement.  I have found it...coffee.  I even made my own pot of coffee today, all by myself!  I have NEVER made a pot of coffee.  Yes, I am thirty (cough, cough) years old and I have never made a pot of coffee.  I can see myself drinking more of this dark liquid :)  Luckily I have access to some great coffee beans ;)
    • Bread can easily be replaced by eating yogurt, almonds and some fruit or some other snack that includes a protein and a fruit or vegetable.
I found this picture recently on Pinterest (yes...many ideas come from this great site).  I think it sums up a lot of what we think we want to eat and what our body is really telling us to eat.  I really enjoy the one labeled PMS and the other category of Alcohol or Marijuana.


Ultimately I do want to eat cleaner...meaning, reducing our processed foods.  Am I perfect with my eating?  Nope.  

I know that I write a lot about food. If I am serious and truthful about my journey, food is a huge part of this for me.  Writing down what I am trying to do may help someone else see that they too can conquer this issue that so many of us have with all those items on the shelf.  

I am super motivated right now too because one of my friends just reached a goal that she had been working on for a long time.  I am very happy for her!  I realized though that there were things that I can change to help me reach the goals that I have for myself.  If I want to reach those goals then I must be honest with myself and sacrifice my taste buds for the foods that they loves to taste and find alternatives that are healthier.  

My workout today:
It's been awhile since I wrote about a workout that I have done.  Sickness, blah, blah, blah.  I am thinking I am now back on track.  

I started a new phase today.  I didn't get to finish everything and since I was short on time I decided the one exercise I would need to skip today was the Romanian Deadlifts.  I will do those tomorrow along with some cardio intervals.  

Today included several new exercises so I had some learning to do.  I already know that I did some wrong or with technique that wasn't the best.  Of course I didn't figure this out until after I was done but at least I have the knowledge for next time.  It did feel like most of my time today was spent on squats.  Squat this, squat that, hold this squat...squat, squat, squat.  I was finishing up with some squat intervals at the end (jump squats...I hate, hate, hate these!...squats and then holding a squat) and at the second set I thought my legs were going to fall off.  My legs were no longer holding muscles and bones...it was just a Jell-o mold.  

Today was also different for me because I forgot my headphones.  Music inspires me, gets me moving and sometimes wakes me up as I sit on the floor in the gym.  No headphones.  I even searched the car to see if the kids had a pair in the back.  (they cleaned the car out yesterday...so no headphones for me).  And...yes, there is an and...the music at the gym was off.  What?!?  The one day I don't have my headphones is the day that they decide to just leave the music off.  I made it through though but I will make sure that I have my headphones for tomorrow.  

The trainer that I work with also has some information on his site about change.  You can view that info here!


No comments: