Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Jessica's Journey...November 22nd

A few months ago I started reading a book that I was pretty excited about.  It was this book...


If you are looking for something to do and you are self-motivated...start this book.  There is so much great information in here...why you should lift, the benefits of strength training, what you should eat and why, etc.

In this book I got through stage (or phase...can't remember what they call it) 1 and jumped into stage 2.  It was just after stage 2 that I either lost my motivation, got sick or just was too scared to keep going.  It was awhile ago and I can't remember what the exact reason was that I stopped.  Stage 2 was tough.  I was doing things I didn't know how to do.  I didn't have anyone that I felt comfortable asking questions to while I was at the gym.  The workouts were tough and I had many moments where I was just confused and I wanted to give up.  Deep down I think I really did want to finish this plan but...I didn't.

Right now, I am at about the same spot in my current plan.  I am in phase 2.  My workouts are tough!  I am doing things now that I have never done before and things that I never knew that I actually could do.

Today, I lifted a 40lb barbell over my head.  Before this plan I would not have tried to lift a barbell over my head.  I always stuck to the little weights...you know, those pretty colorful weights with those single digit numbers on them.  :)

I am doing deadlifts with the highest weights that are in the women's area.  Soon...like next week, I will have to do these out in the big area of the gym because that is where the big weights are.  That scares me a bit since I'm still not all that confident in these.  In order to keep getting results I have to keep challenging myself.

What is the difference this time?
I think that there are two things...
1)  I am accountable.  Writing this blog and knowing that someone is reading this and watching to see if I am following what I am supposed to do is huge.
2)  Results.  I have a pretty big milestone coming up.  December 1st is when I first started keeping track of the inches that I once was and the progress that I have made.  Looking back at those numbers...I can't believe how many inches I have lost.  I still have a ways to go but...the results I am seeing right now is pretty cool.  Do I like planks?  No.  Do I like doing those last 2 sets of intervals when I feel like I am going to throw up?  No.  Do I like the results that I am seeing from the last few weeks.  YES!  I see a new pant size in my future soon.  It may be a little bit still but...I can tell that my current jeans won't be fitting much longer.

Today's workout...
I did day 3 today of phase 2.
The hardest part of today was doing planks and raising one leg.


This is very tough for me.  In fact, I tried it once and I didn't want to do it again.  And then I remembered that if I quit that I wouldn't achieve my goals. I also remembered that I could hardly do a normal plank a few weeks ago for more than 15 seconds.  Now, I can do them for 30 to 40 seconds.  I just have to keep working on it and trying and I will get stronger each time.

No comments: