Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Jessica's Journey...November 1st

Self-control.

I don't have it.

I was doing really well. I asked Chris to keep all the Halloween candy in his car up until the day of Halloween so I wouldn't be tempted. If I see that candy and a bag is open I will probably eat half of it. There must be something about women and chocolate because eventhough the wrapper says "fun size" to me that just means that I can eat more since they are so small.

I need a package to be closed or out of my sight so I don't get tempted.

What I forgot to think about was the aftermath of Halloween.


Those are the buckets of candy, full and overflowing, of sugar and fat that are sitting on my kitchen counter right now. The kids are out of sight and wouldn't even know if I ate 2, 4 or 10 of their precious, little treats of goodness. Sidney said that she will be making a chart when she gets home today so she knows what she has exactly from her trick-or-treating fun. To me, I interpret that as, "I need to eat what I want now before she gets home from school today".

Anyone else just not have the self-control if something is in your sight?

I could have made a great salad today with chicken, spinich and other great vegetables. Did I? Nope. I had chocolate. (Hello...Sid is going to be home and is charting her candy. Didn't I mention that?)

To help with my addiction to food and lack of self-control I am going to be starting a food journal. I have failed at this many times but I know that this is something that I need to do for myself. Writing down the chocolate that I had today may help me from actually sticking that chocolate in my mouth the next time and may help me pick healthier options. Then I think of what I could do to make our house a healthier Halloween house for kids. Chris told me once that if we gave out pencils, tattoos, stickers or something similar we would become the house that gets vandalized. If our kids had better choices though...so would I :) I'm not really sure that I want my kids to eat an entire bucketfull of candy. In fact, I know that I don't want them to eat all that candy.

Update on my workouts...today I did a spin class so I didn't actually do one of the days that was planned out for me. A 50 minute spin class does a great job of burning calories though. At one point I think I had sweat dripping off my chin, arms and also going into my eyes. It was a lot of hill climbs today...long and steep hills. I think we had about 3 songs where we didn't even stop climbing. We just kept going up, and up, and up. Some of my favorite words were "sit down, turn it down". My legs are sore, my shoulders are sore and if something else is sore I just can't feel it because something else is just feeling it more. It is a good sore though and I am excited but very anxious about the exercises tomorrow. I have to try a few new things and I will be right out in the open of the entire gym. I won't be able to hide in the women's area for most of these (the ones where I can...trust me, I will be in the confines of the 4 walls that protect me from being exposed to the rest of the gym goers).

Wish me luck! Day 2 is tomorrow! And...I will have to have a plan for all this chocolate in my house. My hubby may be taking some to work with him :)

1 comment:

Cori said...

This is a great post, Jess! Don't let a bad food choice here or there make you think you should quit or anything. Keep up the good work!