Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Saying goodbye and hello

It is official...I am saying goodbye to something that I have started, nurtured, stressed over, rejoiced with and matured with and also saying hello to something new in my life.

I have known for awhile that this path that my life has been on is now at a fork. On one side of the fork is something that I haven't defined yet so that is still an adventure as I figure out where this path will be taking me. The adjacent side of the fork is Teen MOPS.

I will be sad not to be part of the decisions of this group and the meetings that we have with the teens in this area. These teens are so special and they are so strong. I think of what I have done as a mom and am not sure if I could have accomplished as much as some of these girls are doing right now. I will miss seeing them grow up and mature, miss hearing their stories and learning about what their lives are like as a teen mom.

I am excited though to have the extra time with my kids. I started Teen MOPS when Sid was just a baby and actually starting being part of MOPS when I was pregnant with Sid. 10 years of being part of something is a long time and I know now that this journey with MOPS is done. I have one more Teen MOPS meeting that I will be attending as a leader and one more meeting with the leaders as we wrap up our year. Then I will be passing along all of my duties to someone new. I am ready to see what God has in store for this group and know that there is someone who can do an awesome job with this group in the positions that I have held at Teen MOPS.

This week I am saying hello to a first for me...Friday night at 6:40pm I will be taking off on a start line and hopefully in less than 40 minutes I will be crossing over a finish line and completing my first 5k. I am so excited about this and really don't know what to expect. I ran the route this morning and as I was running the sun was coming up and I saw a little bit of wildlife (thankfully no snakes!) and just a few people that also decided to get up that early in the morning. I have embraced getting up early...very early...and starting my day in a healthy way. I am now going to embrace this race and just do the best that I can. I won't finish first, I probably won't be able to run the entire route but I will finish. If I finish last, that is ok too. I know how far I have come in order to reach this point and just the fact that I can run is huge!

Goodbye & hello!

1 comment:

The Gatzke Family said...

Hey! Congrats on the 5K!! Did you do the Stay Out of the Sun Run? I was planning on running it (my first 5K as well) until Steve had surgery the week before. If you do it next year, I'd love to join you! Congrats again!