Saturday, December 3, 2011

Jessica's Journey...December 3rd

I took yesterday off from writing.  I did hit the gym and finished up week 2 of phase 2.  What a great feeling!  But, I was ready to throw in the towel and be done.  I was exhausted and just didn't think I could push any harder.  Rep after rep, weight after weight...it was very tedious.  But, I had to keep telling myself, "I'm almost done.  I'm almost done.  Keep going."  I had to be the person that kept me going and be positive that I could do this.

Now, what about those people in our lives that aren't always so positive?  If you have ever tried to accomplish something, anything...doesn't have to be health related...you know that there is going to be someone that wants to sabotage your success or just not offer any support for you.

I recently had a phone call with one of those people.  I was so excited to share my success and wanted to pass along some information and even see if I could do some sort of a circuit type of workout with this person and a few others based on what I have been doing.  The conversation not only irritated me but it also reminded me how much I hate drama that isn't necessarily needed.  I started by answering the phone with a smile and ended by just wishing that I could get off the phone as fast as I could.  I would love to help this person and get them to exercise more and show them some of the things I have learned but I don't think that is ever going to happen.  The conversation was horrible and when I was done I think I probably could have had a huge piece of chocolate cake and just sat and watched movies all night and also sprinkled some M&M's or Snicker pieces on the cake while I ate.

I didn't have cake.  I don't have any in the house.  :)

I do know though that this person has done this with other areas of my life where I wanted to share what I was doing or what my family is doing.  Today though the conversation turned to how sick they have been, how their kids aren't ever going to be as good in the same areas as my kids and how much weight they have gained since last year this time.  Well, I'm on the same medicines as this person right now and was taken to the ER a month ago and almost didn't spend Thanksgiving with family because everyone in our house has been sick in the last 2 weeks, I don't care if their kids can't do the same things as mine...kids are different and they aren't all supposed to be the same...and if you want to lose weight then exercise.  The conversation though was completely one sided and I wasn't able to say any of those things to this person because they weren't really wanting to listen.

Instead of eating cake (oh, yummy chocolate cake :) I talked with my husband and vented to him about the situation.  Then...I went looking for how I might be able to handle this situation since I am a girl and as many know...girls don't just let things go.  We like to think, dwell, think some more and keep coming back to the conversation and what was meant by different expressions and words.  (I'm right, aren't I, ladies?)

Here is some advice I found from someone that was having some "not so encouraging" conversations...
To sum this all up: You have to be true to yourself. It's your body, your health, your life. Nobody else knows what life is like in your shoes. If others are encouraging and helpful - WONDERFUL - invite them to be part of your journey. If they are critical and sabotage your best efforts - you may have to distance yourself from them for the journey until you are well set in your new lifestyle. 



Tomorrow is a new day!  Thanks to all of you who have been positive to me.  I appreciate it!

No comments: