Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jessica's Journey...December 20th, Build Your Own Boot Camp

I know that a lot of people want to get in shape starting January 1st.  (I'm not going to get into how you really should just start today rather than wait other than this...why are you waiting?)  But, there are a lot of people that can't afford a gym, a personal trainer to tell them what to do or even have the ability to figure out how to do this in their own home.

Now you CAN build your own boot camp!

I just got in the mail yesterday a note from our clinic that we go to.  Here are the notes, word for word (except my comments), from Olmsted Medical Center that I wanted to share with you so you can get on track today (or January 1st if you really want to wait):   (Some of you know we live in Rochester, MN...the town with the BIG Mayo Clinic...but we don't go there unless someone in the house breaks their arm..Sidney...or needs more specialized care.  Who knew that a town with Mayo Clinic would even have a different place to go for health services, right?)  

Basic Training:  Build your own boot camp workout
The secret to this trendy tone-up is mixing calorie-burning cardio intervals with moves that build strength using the weight of your own body.

The warm-up:  start with 5 to 10 minutes of easy motion, such as walking in place.  (Ok...turn the tv on and walk while you watch for 10 minutes or put on some music)

The moves:  Choose 8 to 10 strength-training moves that work all major muscle groups.
One example:  12 to 20 push-ups.  (personally, I think that is a lot of push-ups for someone just starting...especially if you are a woman that doesn't have much upper body strength.  Do what you can and just try to increase these each time you exercise)
Others...Bridge (for your abs, butt and hips.  Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.  Contract your abs and glutes, exhale and lift your hips off the floor. Inhale and lower down to starting position.  Repeat 12 to 20 times.)
...Squats (for your hips, thighs, and butt.  Stand in front of a sturdy chair.  Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.  Extend your arms in front of you.  Slowly bend your knees and lower yourself down until you're almost seated, taking care not to extend your knees past your toes.  Slowly rise back up.  Repeat 10 times.

The intervals:  After every two strength-training moves, do 60 seconds of cardiovascular exercise, like jumping rope or dancing.

The cooldown:  when you're done, do another 5 to 10 minutes of gentle motion to lower your heart rate.

The payoff:   This type of workout can burn up to 600 calories an hour, while strengthening your muscles and improving your endurance.

I would add...after your boot camp, go and eat something with protein and make sure you drink lots of water throughout the workout.  If you are sore later or the next day and don't think you can do it again...that is just your body telling you that it has been awhile since you have used those muscles.  They might hurt right now but they liked being used and they want you to do the workout again and with even more repetitions or weight added.  You can do squats and grab a jug of milk so increase the weight.  


At the moment, I am sore all over from the workout yesterday.  My shoulders, my upper back, my elbows (I hit a weight on one of my arms and bruised it), my legs...oh, my legs!  I think I still have some pain from the workout last Friday or it has just continued.  I am in pain.  Did I sleep in today?  Nope.  I went to spin class.  


As my spin instructor said this morning, "each day we have choices that we will make.  They are our choices to make."


My choice is to continue to get healthy, learn as much as I can about this journey and keep working hard.

Side note...I was putting my laundry in as the kids were eating breakfast this morning.  I showed my kids my shirt from this morning...completely covered in sweat.  So gross.  My daughter made the best face...she was just disgusted by it.  All that sweat though...that was because I chose to get up out of bed, go to the gym and be challenged by others who were pedaling their bikes so fast you couldn't see their feet.  :)  Well...maybe not that fast.  ;)

Still wondering if you should try this or something else with exercise?  This will help you decide what to do...

 

No comments: