Saturday, November 19, 2011

Jessica's Journey...November 19th

I start a new routine tomorrow and am now in phase 2! 

I am pretty excited about trying some new stuff but am a little sad that I won't be doing the "familiar" stuff.  As I look back at week 1 and even before October 31st, I was pretty nervous about all of this.  I was mostly worried about those around me watching as I tried to do new things and just figured it would be so obvious that I didn't have a clue what I was doing.  I was going to look so silly.  

As you start the process or are in the beginning stages of figuring out how, when and what working out is all about, you are going to feel like you are judged by those around you.  I could be totally wrong with how you will feel but I know how I felt when I first started going to a gym.  It has been almost 2 years now since I joined the gym and I still have moments where I think people are secretly laughing at me.  Granted, I do have some embarrassing moments at the gym where I understand that someone would laugh.  Those moments are not what I am talking about.  Now that people are asking me how to do things though I need to come to the realization that I do know what I am doing some of the time.  (I know that I don't know everything and I am still at the bottom end of the learning curve but I do have some knowledge now of different exercises based on what I have read and done.)  I need to focus as I am at the gym and work as hard as I can while I am there.  The person that is providing me with these workouts, Jeff, mentioned in his information to me the other day that, "I can rest in the car on my way home".  At first I thought that was pretty funny but it really is true.  The harder I work, the faster I will get the results that I am looking for.  Hopefully I can help those that have questions too.  I know how lonely and intimidating the gym can be.  If someone feels like they have a friend they will probably be more likely to keep going to the gym.

My friend, Cori, wrote recently about focus while she was in the process of learning how to run.  Here is a link to the article so you can enjoy it as well...Cori's blog.


My hip is almost at 100%!  I have been taking it a little bit easier these past few days and been as patient as I can so it will pop back into where it belongs.  I haven't felt much pain with it today and I haven't even had to take any medicine for it...so things are starting to look up again.  Saturday is usually a day that I have to go for a little run on the treadmill.  I am not a distance runner, more of a short run, a few gasps and then run some short distances again and repeat.  :)  With my asthma and hip I know that I won't ever be able to do long distances but have had a lot of progress since I started running about a year ago.  This morning I woke up, without an alarm clock, at 5:37am.  As I got up I could tell that I wasn't ready to run today and so I let myself rest for one more day.  I do like running but I also know that this aggravates my hip quite a bit and if I'm not really ready I will be in a lot of pain by the end of the day.  I knew I wasn't ready.  I'll be able to run again soon...just not yet.  

No comments: