Saturday, October 25, 2008

Lincoln Auction & Carnival

Today was the big day of the Lincoln Auction & Carnival! Lincoln is Sid's school and this event is the fundraiser that the school does each year so the kids don't have to go out and try to sell stuff to friends and family.

We signed up to bring food for the cake walk and for the bake sale so this morning we make and frosted about 50 cupcakes for the event today. We made some really cute spider cupcakes that the kids just thought were adorable and wanted to win these themselves. Sidney rolled out gum drops practically all morning :)

This was the first year that we truly participated by buying something. I went to the auction last year but it was only about a week or two after Quinn was born so not only was I tired but our time had to be short. The boys stayed home with Chris while I went with Sid to her school. We bought a few items last year at the bake sale but that was about it. I had a hard time finding where to get a bidding number and it was my first silent auction so I really had no idea what to do. I wasn't that familiar with Sid's school either so I felt like I was kindof lost as well.

This year we all went and we had lunch at the school, played lots of carnival games, bid on items, saw Sid's room, locker and things that she had made throughout the school and even won some items.

There were a few items I bid on and one item just really looked cute and I wanted to get it. There was a bid of $1 on the item so I put $2. The auction was close to being over so there were a lot of people around watching "their" items, of course. After I put my bid on the item, I saw a little girl go over to the same item and put another bid down. I put $4 on the item and then she went over and put $5. There was about 5 minutes left and although I really wanted this one thing, I just couldn't outbid this little girl.

I won 4 items and paid $4 for all of them. Bargains!!! Chris won a print of a comic strip that was signed by the author that he had to pay a good portion of money for and had to bid even to the last few seconds in order to get the item.

We had a good time today and the kids really enjoyed themselves. We stopped in to see the live auction for a little bit too and it is really amazing at how high some items sell. I told the kids that they had to sit down on the floor and eat their candy because I didn't want one of them (mainly Micah) to blurt something out and then we would have to pay some huge amount of money for something.

Go Lincoln!

No comments: